The long, hot days of summer of summer are here and that means more time to enjoy Life’s Best Moments in the great outdoors! Cool off with a dip in the pool, set up some backyard obstacle course fun or discover the night sky’s constellations. The summer is the perfect season to go tech-free!
Have Some Backyard Water Fun
The summer sun can be brutal, so relax and enjoy a refreshing dip in the pool as a family – whether it’s your own or at a nearby rec center, park or club! No pool? No problem! There are tons of ways you can get wet and wild in your own backyard. Slip-n-slides, sprinklers, hoses and water balloons will all get the job done. Need more ideas? Check out this link for water play activities you can set up at home!
Set Up an Obstacle Course
This activity combines creativity, exercise and healthy competition – either for the kids or the whole family! Search the garage and/or the storage room for fun obstacles to place around your yard and see who can complete the course the fastest! No matter who finishes first, having a blast while soaking up the sun means everyone is a winner. Click here for more ideas for backyard fun!
A clear summer night provides the perfect atmosphere for searching the sky and mapping out the constellations formed by the stars. With the help of a sky chart (print one out here), see how many of the formations you’re able to point out on any given night. All you have to do is lay out a blanket, grab a bowl of popcorn and get in touch with your inner astronomer!
Here’s what others around the Tri-State are doing on their Tech-Free Tuesdays:
- “Hitting golf balls in my backyard with my two nephews and then swimming in the pool.” – Linda N.
- “Taking my kids, niece and nephew to play in the creek! Such a simple activity, but yet some of my best memories were from playing in creeks!” – Winter D.
- “We will either be bowling with our five kiddos or playing at our neighborhood pool!” – Sara J.
- “My fiancé and I enjoy cooking together. After work, we will spend the evening whipping up some delicious dinners and dancing in the kitchen!” – Beth C.
- “Spending time with my husband walking the dogs at the local park or sitting on the patio enjoying the warm outdoors (and grilling out, of course)! – Lindsey B.
- “Enjoying the outdoors as a family! From sitting on the back porch to hiking local trails!” – Steve T.
- “We will have a family dinner at the dinner table without phones and then play card games with the family.” – Julie P.
- “Playing with my kids and talking to them and my husband!” – Jessie E.
And check out our Pinterest board for more great ideas!